Pages

Wednesday 13 November 2013

What's Up Wednesday #15



What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme run by Erin L Funk and Jaime Morrow and is a great way for readers and writers to catch up!

What I'm reading


I've been reading some great books for review! Taste of Darkness, the final book in Maria V. Snyder's Healer trilogy, is a great finale (I'll be posting my review soon!) and I'm currently writing up my reviews of 18 Things by fellow Curiosity Quills author Jamie Ayers and Soulcutter by Lexa Cain. Both are fantastic reads! And I'm finally reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, which so many people have recommended to me!


What I'm writing


I've been catching up with my NaNo goals, which hasn't been easy as I've caught the usual winter cold and every sentence is like pulling teeth!  But I've managed to keep on target - just! I'm at nearly 28K total, with 16K written this month, but I'm sort of cheating and including words added to my Darkworld novels during edits in my NaNo word count. 


But it isn't easy. I mentioned reviews in my IWSG post last week, and I hoped that I'd managed to get my inner anxiety-freak under control. But I'd forgotten how hard it was to pull myself out of the slump once I fell into it, and trying to edit the rest of the series whilst getting constant feedback on the first book, the one book I can't change, is distracting to say the least! But I've just finished the final self-edit of Darkworld Book 3 before sending it to my publishers, and I should be hearing news on the next editing stage of Walking Shadow (Book 2) any day now. *eek!*

I've just been struggling with self-confidence issues, which inevitably affects how I perceive my writing. I used to suffer from anxiety and depression (and still do to some extent) and whenever I'm feeling particularly down, the old demons threaten to come out to play. I try to be positive, but it isn't easy when I'm feeling the pressure to put on a front and pretend everything's OK! After all, complaining about reviews is a big author faux pas- it feels like something you're not supposed to talk about, but I definitely underestimated how much of an effect it would have on my writing (though when I decided to draft the whole Darkworld series before the first book was published, I definitely had the right idea). So I haven't been as engaged with social media as I used to be. I've read a lot of posts lately about the struggle to balance everything, and I know this is something I need to work on!


What else I've been up to


When not dying of the Plague, I've been playing Pokemon X, doing internship work, and editing!


What inspires me right now


Christmas! (which is apparently signaled  by the appearance of the Coca Cola advert on TV...) I'm usually a complete Scrooge, but I do enjoy having an excuse to buy books! :)

19 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon! And hang in there with the writing. Tell that inner anxiety that you're allowed to suck and time and looooooots of editing make things brilliant :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Miss Cole said, I hope you feel better soon. Anxiety is *the worst*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to hear that even when you have a publisher, the self-doubt and anxiety doesn't go away. (Maybe interesting isn't the right word...) Good luck with your writing and revising, you can do it! 28k is really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self-doubt is the plague of a writer's life, and unfortunately it doesn't go away when you're published! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. "I'd forgotten how hard it was to pull myself out of the slump once I fell into it" >> I know! Sometimes I wake up and read a great review and feel all giddy and happy, then a second later, I read a bad review and it all goes away and I feel so terrible, I shouldn't be writing and all the crap. My day practically goes down the drain.

    "signaled by the appearance of the Coca Cola advert on TV..." >> and of jewelry stores. Jeez, hulu was bombed with ads of wedding rings LOL It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel! It's such a horrible feeling. But the good reviews make for good days. :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on all the writing you've gotten done. Good luck with the rest of NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the cold goes away and you feel better soon! I know what you mean about self-confidence issues when it comes to writing. I have the same type of issues. I think that's partly why I've been on such a long hiatus (apart from busyness associated with moving). Basically, I just want to say that you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be hard to get back into writing once you're on hiatus. Hope you get back into it soon! :)

      Delete
  7. Dying of the plague is not allow. You hear me?

    I'm looking forward to your reviews on all of those books. Goodness, there are so many tasty reads floating around. Where is my time-stopper?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you've been sick, hope you're feeling better soon.
    I know what you mean about self- confidence, once those voice start they are hard to shut up. I watched Finding Nemo with my son at the weekend and there is a fish in it called Dory, who sings Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. I've been singing Just Keep Writing to myself in the same voice - it makes me smile :)
    I MUST read Fangirl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that really sucks about the cold--hope you feel better soon! You still seem to be accomplishing a lot of reading and writing, though, so at least you're not letting that cold kill your productivity! I lack a lot of confidence in myself, too, and can never seem to shake those feelings off. Sorry you're struggling with those same issues--definitely not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Emma, I'm sorry to hear you've been sick AND down. That is a deadly combo, but you know, it's pretty amazing you HAVE a book out and a series on the way. It's definitely hard to look on the bright side sometimes, especially when it seems like everyone else is putting on a positive face, but it's okay to let yourself feel down every once in a while. Just also remember that what we see of other people is usually their best moments. Everyone seems happier or whatever because people don't really post about the bad/not fun stuff. So, don't compare yourself too harshly. Feel better! *hugs*

    RE: your comment - Thanks for your encouragement, and yay for loving Hamlet! I just think it's such rich material, and the language is beautiful, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, big props for pushing through Nano with a cold. You can do incredible things by the first of December, no matter what the final word counter reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope things get better. We creative types do have quite the curse sometimes. There is a great book by William Styron called Darkness Visible, where he writes about his battles with depression and how he rose up out of it.

    You're strong. I know things will brighten for you. All of us writers have to stick together! Sending good vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being sick and trying to write sucks! I hope you feel better. Self-confidence can negatively impact my writing too. If I manage to write when I'm down, my characters end up being very emo and morose, and I end up rewriting it all anyway.

    Congratulations on finishing the edits for book 3! Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete