Last report wordcount: I'd finished drafting the final Alliance book!
Current report wordcount: I did the read-through of the entire Alliance series to see how much needed fixing. I reassembled the jigsaw of Book 3 and managed to get it into the right order without breaking the book (YES!). I fixed some of the major issues in the other books.
WIP issues this month: Lack of focus. Being done with a series made it difficult to focus on planning something new when I was still emotionally tangled up in the Alliance series.
Four things I learned this month in writing:
- I will never get everything right the first time. Or the second time. Or the third... well, it takes me 6-10 drafts to have a book I'm happy with, including multiple rounds of feedback. I probably rewrite at least 60% of each draft, because I have a tendency towards telling, filter words, repetition, excessive use of adverbs, and basically everything you're not supposed to do. :P So I have to rewrite every other sentence. (This is why I infinitely prefer editing other people's books to editing my own...)
- Keep an over-used words list for line editing. Mine's two pages long now, and includes all those useless filler words, unnecessary adverbs, and repetitive phrases that crop up in my writing when I'm power-drafting.
- Starting a new project is hard. Outlining is hard, but always worth it. (Evidenced by the fact that I just wrote a series in six months! O.O)
- Some projects need more time than others. Alliance was better-planned from the beginning, so I could draft the series back to back, but I have a few projects from last year that went completely off the rails and need re-planning.
Goal for next month: Finish proofreading Nemesis. Complete another revision round on Alliance 3.
I've also signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo, and I'm planning to revisit the book I wrote a year ago (my YA post-apocalyptic sequel!). I'm hoping to re-plot it as a longer series. :)
Last 200 words:
No new words this month, but there will be teasers from Nemesis coming soon!