Pages

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Interview with Samantha Bryant, author of Going Through the Change!

Today I'm interviewing fellow Curiosity Quills writer Samantha Bryant, author of Going Through the Change - which is FREE for the next two days!

Tell me three interesting facts about yourself!
I nearly always wear Converse sneakers. My feet don't like any other shoes. Even my wedding shoes were Converse. They are white with blue trim and say "The Bride" on the ankle. 

All my celebrity crushes are on men whose movies were filmed in black and white (Humphrey Bogart, Robert Mitchum, Cary Grant). I'm a woman out of my time in that way. I'm a sucker for shoulders and an awesome hat. 

I knew my husband was going to be a keeper when he gifted me a large figurine of Treebeard that speaks quotes from the LOTR movies when you push his shoulder. 

Summarize your book in one line.

What if menopausal women had superpowers?

Tell me something cool/crazy/quirky about the book – it can be anything!

When writing Linda Alvarez's transformation into Leonel Alvarez, I embarrassed the heck out of all the men in my life by asking a lot of very specific questions about penises. 

Why did you decide to write this particular book?

It started from a conversation about why superheroes always seem to have adolescent origin stories. I said that if hormones gave superpowers, then menopausal women would be the most powerful people on the planet. And a book was born.

Best part of the writing process?

Those days when the words seem to flow through you from somewhere out in the ether, like you are the conduit to something from beyond. It must be what it feels like to do magic. 

(This is the BEST feeling! :))

Share one thing you learned writing this book.

Writing action scenes is a different ball of wax than other kinds of writing. Half logistics and half emotion and a balancing act of pacing those elements. They are also extremely satisfying to write!

Tell me about one strange experience you’ve had. Again, it can be anything!

When I was in my early twenties, I accepted a teaching job in a very small town in Alaska (Kenny Lake, population 400).  I showed up, assuming I could find a hotel or something and then get set up with a place to live in short order. Um . . .not so much. There's no hotel. I spent three nights in my truck before another teacher took pity on me and let me live in a little cabin on his property for two months until the place I found to rent came open. It was a real eye-opener to realize how different life was going to be in a truly small place. I came to love it with all my heart though. It's the kind of place where I could mention in class that I wanted a dog, and the next day a student was offering me a puppy. 

Name one fictional place you’d love to visit.

London Below, but only if I can get Door as my tour guide. 

Name one real place you’d love to visit.

New Zealand. It's been at the top of my someday list ever since the LOTR movies came out. 

(Same here! :))

Share one sentence/mini-excerpt from the book!

"Police were not used to things like this, things that should be impossible: women becoming men, people who float like balloons or become dragons."




Samantha Bryant is a middle school Spanish teacher by day and a mom and novelist by night. That makes her a superhero all the time. Her debut novel, Going Through the Change: A Menopausal Superhero Novel is now for sale by Curiosity Quills. You can find her online on her blog,Twitter, on Facebook, on Amazon, on Goodreads, on the Curiosity Quills page, or on Google+.


Going through “the change” isn’t easy on any woman. Mood swings, hot flashes, hormonal imbalances, and itchy skin are par for the course. But for these four seemingly unrelated women, menopause brought changes none of them had ever anticipated—super-heroic changes. 

Helen discovers a spark within that reignites her fire. Jessica finds that her mood is lighter, and so is her body. Patricia always had a tough hide, but now even bullets bounce off her. Linda doesn’t have trouble opening the pickle jar anymore… now that she’s a man. 

When events throw the women together, they find out that they have more in common than they knew—one person has touched all their lives. The hunt for answers is on.


Amazon - FREE on the 5th-6th August only!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    This list like an interesting book to read and I've put it on my TBR list.
    All the best.
    Shalom,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete