Pages

Saturday 31 May 2014

#WIPMarathon Update #4

Last report wordcount and chapter count/scene count: I was 39,000 words into my YA post-apocalyptic sequel.
 
Current report WC + CC/SC:
I finished my draft at 70K! :D

I also finished last revisions on Indestructible. Whee!

And I decided my MG Fantasy (which I wrote last year) needed to undergo a major revision. So I cut it into scenes in Scrivener and more or less rewrote it from scratch. And in the process, I fell in love with the story again! ^_^ Now, it's finished and beta-ready, and I'm in a weird hopeful-scared paradox because it's made me re-evaluate my entire game plan for project submission.

I'm also writing another draft, a YA contemporary fantasy. I'm currently at 20K words (thanks to a week without Internet and a ton of inspiration!)

And I wrote most of an outline (and a ton of worldbuilding) for another YA high fantasy project. I may have had a slight case of Project ADD this month...

WIP Issues this month: Being distracted by other projects and shiny new ideas. At one point, I was juggling four at once. Oops.


Four things I learned this month in writing:
  • This fantastic series on character arcs has been so helpful when writing my revision plan for my MG Fantasy. I have two main characters, and I completely lost track of their stories (one of the reasons I decided to rewrite it!). This helped me keep everything on track!
  • On days when I'm inspired, I need to write as much as possible. This might seem obvious, but I've been using 1000 words a day as my target for a while and it's possible to get lazy with it and end up in a never-ending guilt spiral when I get a stretch of days where it's hard to get any words down at all. Now, I'm going to make more of an effort to get as many words down as possible on those days when the words are flowing, so I feel less guilty on the non-inspired days!
  • I read this amazing book by Rachel Aaron about how she went from writing 2K in a day to over 10K. There are some great tips, such as making a list of the things that excite you about each scene before you write them. I'm making the effort to do this, because if I'm excited about every scene, hopefully the reader will be, too!
  • Rewriting can be inspiring! I tend to find drafting more fun than editing, although I've really come to appreciate both stages of the writing process. But rewriting a book from scratch has made me appreciate the bits I got RIGHT, as opposed to the many things I got wrong. It's rewarding! ^_^
What distracted me this month when writing: Plague (boo!) and holiday (yay!).

Goal for next month: I'm hoping to make more progress with my YA contemporary fantasy draft, now it's my main project. :) And I'm hoping to do more plotting/outlining on my next project.

I'm also going to be sending my MG fantasy out to beta readers! I hesitate to say this in case I'm completely deluding myself, but I have a really good feeling about this one... well, part of me is thinking that if any project is the "one", it's this one. If that makes sense? (It does in my head!) As I said in my What's Up Wednesday post, it's a very "me" kind of book, which means it's completely bonkers. I started out writing children's books, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. :D

Last 200 words: (This is a very rough excerpt from my YA contemporary fantasy WIP, which has the working title of Dark Art. You'll see why...)

The paintings on the walls had a life of their own, soaring angels and fantastical creatures changing shape and form so fast it was like watching a video clip in fast-forward. She looked at Dorian instead, the only steady, solid object in the room, and swallowed hard.

‘This is mental,’ she said, her voice tiny in the huge room.

‘You’re right,’ he said. ‘It’s a mental trick. You have to find your focus.’

‘My what? How the hell are you so calm about…’ She squeezed her eyes shut, feeling a migraine pushing at her temples.

‘Find one point to focus on. Don’t take your eyes off it. Everything else will stop moving if you do that. It’s in your head. This place might be crazy-making, but you’re sane and you can do this.’ He took her hand and squeezed it, and she didn’t pull away.

‘Thanks.’ She forced her eyes open. Almost instantly, the swirling colours dragged her in again, but she found one spot, the wing of a tropical-coloured bird, and focused on that. The other paintings tried to draw her eyes away, flickering from one colour and image to the next, but she narrowed her eyes and concentrated on that one image.

Everything else fell away, seeming muted, like someone had paused the video. She breathed out, and turned back to Dorian.

‘You did great, Saffron,’ he said.

‘Wait,’ she said, frowning. ‘We just went down a slide, but we were on the ground floor, right? So is this underground?’

‘Don’t think about dimensions in this place, it’ll give you a headache,’ said Dorian. ‘Trust me. Forget everything you know about the laws of nature.’

9 comments:

  1. Whoa! I'm in awe over how much you've accomplished! I wish I could be this productive...

    Also, absolutely love this excerpt! It doesn't seem rough to me at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy carp that's a lot of writing! *bows before greatness* I am thoroughly impressed and more than a tad envious.

    Also - love that excerpt. You have me totally intrigued!

    Good luck for next month - not that it seems you need any luck ;) and happy writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, look at you go! Your work ethic is really inspiring. ^_^

    I try to do that too, where I write as much as I can some days so I don't have to feel bad for taking a day off now and then. When the words are coming, we gotta write them!

    Okay, new story sounds really REALLY interesting. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You did all that writing THIS month? Congrats!! That's every hue of awesome!

    Your excerpt is sooo intriguing! I'm super curious about your WIP.

    I know what you mean about trying to cram in all your writing in the days you feel inspired. I try to do that too, with the 5k in a day marathon, although most of this month, I didn't have the motivation. But your progress is great! I wish I can write like that :)

    I hope your MG fantasy takes you places at the end of the day. When we think it's "the one", it usually is.

    Good luck with your writing next month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job, as usual! (I seem to expect that of you! ;) I hope you get all your revisions where you want them to be--best of luck this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Heather--that excerpt doesn't seem rough! Congrats on your progress, and I hope you keep it up this coming month!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!! That Rachel Aaron book is so inspiring, isn't it? I'm still struggling with putting it into practice (like, big time), but her advice about making every scene one you're excited about -- or scratching/changing it so it *does* excite you -- is so simple and obvious, and yet so easily missed. Congrats on your impressive progress this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing! That's amazing! That character arcs series looks really helpful and I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for sharing. Keep on doing all the good work you do and let's have a great June! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always amazed by how many projects you seem to be working on at once! I wish I were so versatile.

    ReplyDelete