Pages

Saturday 9 June 2012

The demon wakes

Sometimes I think of inspiration as like a little creature that lives in the back of my mind, curled up in its nest. Occasionally, it stirs, and I suddenly think of a random idea, which, often as not, disappears before I have the time to write it down. Sometimes it lies dormant for so long I forget it exists. But when it awakens, I instantly know about it. I get that indescribable urge to turn on my laptop and start typing, or failing that, find a notebook. Ideas are rushing into my head, like a waterfall, and when I start typing I can't seem to stop, words appearing on the page almost of their own accord. As if something has possessed me.

The whole creature-at-the-back-of-your-mind idea is from the gothic/supernatural fantasy series for teens I'm currently writing (for now, under the bland title of 'The Otherworld Series'). Demons aren't hideous monsters; nor are they little goblin-like creatures. They can't physically touch or harm you. But they're deadly because they can literally get into your head, and at any point they choose...switch off your life.

I'm not an avid fan of horror films - partly due to my terror at the sight of blood - but I've seen a few in recent years, and the closest to the kind of horror element I'm trying to create are The Woman in Black and Paranormal Activity. It's the fear of things going bump in the night, not of being dismembered. With stories, I've always preferred psychological horror, even though it's the kind of thing that gives me nightmares. That's the point, though, really. To get into your head. Very much like those mysterious demons.

So there we have it: a clue about my next book series! I'm hoping to have the first book finished by the end of the year and uploaded to Authonomy in 2013, though it's early days yet. I only 'officially' started writing it yesterday (already I'm two chapters in and things are getting exciting!). So you (aka my nonexistent readership) have that to look forward to!

And I have a plan. No more procrastination. I'm going to send 'The Puppet Spell' out to two agents this week. That's the aim. There: now I've written it, I'll feel morally obliged to see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment