Pages

Monday 11 June 2012

Let the waiting game commence...

So I've sent the opening chapters of my novel to an agent! It's been almost two years since I began looking for representation for my first novel; hopefully I've learned something in the interim! I'd like to think I'm a little wiser now. I've accepted that there's little chance of this ever leading anywhere. It's just so hard these days, for writers to get interest in their work. There's so much good writing already out there, so many voices clamouring for attention. I realise that I was incredibly lucky even to get my short story published in a small online magazine. So I'm not expecting a miracle.

Progress on my new novel is going well. I've been editing and rewriting the first couple of chapters whilst making copious notes, basically outlining the whole book in case I get stuck halfway through (this happened about three times when I was writing The Puppet Spell!). And I've had some awesome ideas for the sequels, too...

I guess, with it being halfway through the year, it's time to take a look at my achievements so far. I've never been good at keeping resolutions but I'm pleased to say I've done several of the things on my list! Including:


  • Finishing my novel, 'The Puppet Spell', then editing it about six times before uploading it to Authonomy!
  • Doing a work experience placement at Macmillan, and deciding that I definitely want to go into publishing after I graduate!
  • Finally getting one of my stories published!
  • Starting this blog! And sticking to it. I try to update as often as I can, but in 23 days time I'll be going away to Costa Rica for five weeks and will have no internet connection for most of the trip! Naturally I'll be taking a travel journal (as I did when I went to Australia last year), and I'll be sure to make up for neglecting this blog by posting my diary and lots of photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment