Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Currently...

Because I miss What's Up Wednesday, I've decided to post updates about what I'm doing every other week (Katy Upperman's idea!). :) So, I'm currently...

Loving

Being a hybrid author. :) I'm having so much fun planning my next book release and what I can do with all my odd, genre-confused projects. Meanwhile, my publishers have set up a Bookbub promotion for Darkness Watching next week, so it's getting a huge boost! It's taken a long time to get to this point (14 years writing, 2 years being published), but it's worth the wait! ^_^


Reading
The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3)
The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)

I've been reading the third book in Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series. I love the characters, the witty dialogue and the setting.

I'm also reading The Girl at Midnight. I have a weakness for stories about magic but set in the modern day (as anyone who's read any of my books will know!), and I was totally swept up in the compelling world of the Avicen and the Drakharin. I absolutely adore all the characters, but the plot... I don't want to go into spoiler territory, but it's a tiny bit too similar to a certain other (amazing) YA urban fantasy series for my liking. The writing and characterisation are good enough for me to overlook it, but I couldn't help notice the similarities. I guess nothing's entirely original!

Watching

Daredevil. I only started watching yesterday, and OMG SO GOOD.

I'm also keeping up with Game of Thrones, Agents of SHIELD, Arrow and The Flash.


Listening to

Podcasts! Writing Excuses is a fantastic resource with tons of useful writing tips. I've also discovered all the awesome podcasts out there for indie authors, and there's so much helpful advice in there. I'm listening to the Self-Publishing Podcast, Self-Publishing Roundtable and the Science Fiction and Fantasy Marketing Podcast.


Thinking about

My current WIP, which is finally sort-of on the right track. (I'm rewriting the YA post-apocalyptic sequel I wrote a year ago, because I'm turning the series into a trilogy.)

Also, my next fantasy series, which I can't wait to start writing! I've been doing a ton of brainstorming and building a new world and magic system, which is my favourite part of the writing process. It's a trilogy, and I still need to outline the last two books and actually give all the characters names. But I love them already. This one's going to be fun! :D


Anticipating

Avengers: Age of Ultron! I still haven't seen it yet (dammit, deadlines and work!), but I've been playing avoid-the-spoilers-on-the-interwebs all week...


Wishing

I'm wishing I could get a story right on the first draft, rather than the tenth. Hey, I can dream. :P


Making me happy

Reviews for Adamant. <3 There's nothing quite as awesome as finding readers who love my story as much as I do! ^_^

12 comments:

  1. I had to laugh because your list of shows you're watching is VERY similar to mine and my husband's. (He's been away for over a week and I haven't been able to get caught up on all of these shows. Grrrr...)

    So I was super curious about the book that was similar to THE GIRL AT MIDNIGHT, so I went and read a review or two on Goodreads. OMG, really? I mean, I know there are no original ideas, but from the sounds of it, this one is way too much like that other really well-written book. I think this would bug me if I read it, so I'm not sure if I'll be picking it up. Boo.

    Anyway, hope you have an awesome week, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      I know! It's annoying when that happens, because it really is a great story, but I think it could have been better without the obvious similarities in the plotline.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I so wish I could get a story right on the first draft too, it would save so much time, but even when I outline I still seem to need to write about 100,000 words before I find the REAL story!
    THE GIRL AT MIDNIGHT is on my TBR list, but it did sound very like a favourite book of mine.
    I've heard great things about Dare devil too, will have to check it out.
    Enjoy your bookbub promotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really would save so much time! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Our shows are so similar—all except Agents of Shield, which I haven't seen. I'm so close to quitting Arrow, though. I've always had a hard time with that ridiculously impractical outfit (no peripheral vision! a hood that magically stays in place while Oliver's fighting/jumping/rolling/etc! the fact that his face is visible 99% of the time! on and on) but now the fun of him having a secret identity is over because the whole world knows he's the arrow. My husband's begging me to keep watching, though.

    And hooray for readers who love your books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does require some suspension of disbelief. :P It's entertaining, though!

      Delete
  4. Good luck planning your launch and your next WIP, Emma. I'm so impressed by hybrid authors. You go girl! I too wish I could get a first draft right. It make my entire life soooo much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for good reviews on Adamant! Yay :D You deserve them after all your hard work.

    My love of Arrow remains. I think this season dropped the ball, but I think they'll get it back together for S4. Personally, I am loving Gotham right now. More people need to watch that show. It is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D :D

      I'm not enjoying this season as much, but I think it's because I have to wait for each episode rather than watching them back to back. :P I haven't started watching Gotham yet, but it's on my list!

      Delete
  6. When you learn the trick to getting a story right on the first draft, let me know! :-) So happy to read your update, Emma. Best of luck with all of the projects you've got going!

    ReplyDelete