Pages

Saturday 27 February 2016

#WIPMarathon February Update

It's time for another #WIPMarathon update, hosted by Ifeoma Dennis!

Last report wordcount: Last month, I was editing Divided and starting to write a new urban fantasy manuscript. (17K total.)

Current report wordcount: I fast-drafted a hot mess of a first draft which came out at only 53K (I wrote 30K of it before I left for New Zealand, but it's surprisingly difficult to write on my phone while on the road!). I then fleshed the story out to 70K total.

I also did the final proofread of Darkness Falling, the last Darkworld book.

WIP issues this month: Writing on my phone is difficult, though I'm glad I did it just to have the draft finished! Autocorrect is a nuisance, though, and I shortcut a lot when I'm distracted.

Four things I learned this month in writing:

  • I can officially write anywhere. ;)
  • I really like fast-drafting then fleshing out the story later. I try to get the plot right the first time, because I write complicated storylines which are a headache to sort out in edits if anything goes wrong. If I get the story right, then I can spend edits working on characters and detail/description, and anything else I've neglected.
  • Travel helps my writing. Partly because I'm away from social media, partly because it's crazy-making to be immersed in publishing all the time, and partly because the open sense of freedom and possibility sets my creative side sparking.
  • Some things do get easier with time. I'm creeping up on my 30th novel, and by this point, I know I'll go through at least three stages when drafting where I think everything's broken. And it's never as bad as I think it is.
What distracted me this month when writing:  Well, being in New Zealand was a tiny bit distracting. :P (I blogged about this!)

Goal for next month: Finish editing the urban fantasy draft and start writing the sequel. I also have my first signing next Saturday, which is exciting! :)

Last 200 words: Spoilers... but I'll have a teaser from this book soon. :)              

14 comments:

  1. 30th novel!? I can't even.

    The fact that you can write anywhere is amazing - I hope New Zealand was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! :) I couldn't abandon a draft halfway through, so I had to take it with me!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you wrote SO MUCH WHILE ON VACATION! You rock! ^^ I saw some of your pics--it looked like an amazing trip!

    And 30 novels?! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ^_^ I couldn't help taking the book with me. It was so much fun!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I did not just read that you wrote part of the story on your phone! I can't even imagine! I hate trying to type up IDEAS on my phone, let alone anything else!

    Things are definitely never as bad as we think. :)

    Your New Zealand looks like it was CRAZY FUN!! Oh my gosh! The pictures and videos are amazing. That baby seal made my entire day! I don't think I could ever talk myself into skydiving though. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally, but it actually worked really well! I had so much fun over there. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm in awe of your ability to write while traveling lol. You got so much done this past month. Woot! And 30th novel? OMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I can't seem to ever stop writing!

      Delete
  5. I loved, loved seeing all your pictures and living vicariously through you! And wow, you're an alpha writer to have whipped out the rest of your WIP to finish in spite of your trip!

    Good luck in March!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIRTY novels?!? Oh my gosh. I have yet to get ONE out in the world. That's incredible. Go you! And I'm also impressed by your ability to write fast drafts despite the complex storylines. That's usually when I need to pull back and take it slower, or else I spend months trying to untangle the mess I made. ;) Glad you had such a fun and productive trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I did end up shelving a fair few of them, though. I find the faster I write, the faster I can fix the inevitable mistakes. ;)

      Delete
  7. That's a crazy fast first draft. I used to draft on my kindle fire sometimes, until we got a tablet. Of course, neither beats the computer.

    30 novels? I'm the opposite. I write slow, but by the time I get to the end, it's mostly gold. Edits are few. Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Cow, girl! You're really racking up the numbers. Woot!

    ReplyDelete